Thursday, August 23, 2012

self control

   While walking and getting bitten by mosquitoes this morning. I thought about something: I need to exercise self-control.

   My mosquito bites were so itchy that I couldn't stop myself from scratching them, and that would definitely result to unsightly marks on my skin. Oh no! I needed to stop my self from scratching. Self-control. "Bear the itch, Bing." It was kinda' mind over matter. And I was successful. After a few minutes, I totally forgot about the itchiness and continued with what I was doing.

   So I guess, the same effort is needed with other urges and emotions to avoid being hurt or other unwanted consequences. We can't just give in to all our desires, cravings, and the like. See, if you indulge in your cravings, you'll end up FAT and unhealthy! If you keep on scratching a bite, you'll get unsightly marks. If you give in to all the desires of your eyes, you'll end up POOR or in debt.

   Aside from anger, one emotion that's hard to control is LOVE, falling in love. It's hard to shut the heart down. It has no switch. But sometimes, we have to control what we feel to avoid more pain, more self destruction. SELF CONTROL. SELF CONTROL. SELF CONTROL  ( And I need this- a lot)

No comments:

Post a Comment